(Redirected from Release Date)
Fortnite was first announced in 2011 and was officially released on July 2017 as Early Access phase.
Release Timeline[edit | edit source]
- Fortnite was first announced at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards.
- In April 2014, Fortnite's closed Alpha sign-ups began and the game was revealed to be aimed towards a free-to-play model.
- In December 2014, the first round of Fortnite's Alpha began.
- In March 2015, the second round of the Alpha began.
- In Fall 2015, Fortnite was announced to be compatible with Mac computers, and the closed Beta phase began.
- Fortnite became available for Early Access on Windows, Mac, Xbox, and Playstation for those who preordered the game on July 21, 2017 and on July 25, 2017 for those who did not preorder.
- Battle Royale was released as free to play on September 26, 2017.
- Fortnite IOS was released on March 12, 2018 and the Android open beta will be released at a later date.
- Save the World is set to become free-to-play sometime in 2018.
- Fortnite became available for Early Access for the Nintendo Switch on June 12, 2018.
- Fortnite was released on NVIDIA Shield TV, an Android-based platform, on July 12, 2018. No other announcements about Android releases were made at this time.
- Fortnite for Android Beta was released on August 9, 2018 to owners of Samsung mobile devices.  Beta access was expanded to other mobile devices on August 13, 2018.
- On September 26, 2018 extended Fortnite cross-platform play became live on PS4. 
- In October 2018, Save the World will not be Free to Play in 2018. 
References[edit | edit source]
- Spike TV Announces 2011 “Video Game Awards” Winners
- Epic Games Reveals Cartoony New IP Fortnite
- Fortnite alpha signups are now open
- Gears of War dev's Fortnite has Diablo-like looting
- Epic Games kicks off Fortnite alpha on Dec. 2
- Fortnite kicks off second closed alpha with a livestream this afternoon
- Epic's Fortnite coming to Mac, beta hits this fall
- Fortnite Early Access has started for those who pre-ordered Founder’s Packs
- Tweet by @FortniteGame