Rarity describes both the relative rarity of finding a particular item and is an expression of its quality. Each level has a name and color associated with it:
- Handmade - White
- Common - Gray
- Uncommon - Green
- Rare - Blue
- Epic - Purple
- Legendary - Orange
- Mythic - Gold
- Marvel Series - Dark Red
- Dark Series - Magenta
- Transcendent - Light Red
- DC Series - Gray-Blue
- Creator Collab Series - Cyan
- Frozen Series - Light Blue
- Lava Series - Dark Orange
- Star Wars Series - Dark Blue and Yellow
- Shadow Series - Black
The Mythic rarity is a separate tier from the standard common to legendary progression. Every Mythic hero does not have a lower tier, and Mythic lead Survivors are classified in the Collection Book as "Unique Leads". Unlike the rest of the leads they have a name and a small flavor text.
Mythic items are mostly only available in Save the World, with the exceptions of the Mythical Scar which was introduced in Chapter 2: Season 2 and the Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity Blade, which were available in Battle Royale's Infinity Gauntlet LTM and patch 7.01’s (or the Sword Fight LTM’s) Infinity Blade respectively.
Each slot has specific available perks, excluding weapons with fixed perks.
These items are especially rare due to being obtainable only from certain special sources. As such, they cannot be added to the Collection Book.
- Marvel - This rarity is only for cosmetics associated with the Marvel x Fortnite 2019 Event, there are currently no items with the Marvel Rarity in Save the World.
- Dark - A rarity for cosmetics associated with the CUBE.
- Handmade - These weapon Schematics are of the lowest beginner tier, and obtained by completing the very first tutorial missions. These items cannot be Upgraded nor Recycled.
- Trainee - These defenders are obtained after unlocking the first Defender slot in the squad. These items cannot be Upgraded nor Recycled.
- Founder's - These Schematics are uniquely obtained from the Founder's Llama.
- Transcendent - Rarity of in-game cosmetics test items used by developers in Battle Royale. This had the exception of the Item Spawner, an item used in Fortnite Creative. As of Patch 7.10, the Item Spawner is now Rare.
- DC - For cosmetics associated with DC Comics.
- Creator Collab Series - For cosmetics associated with famous artists, such as Marshmello and Major Lazer.
- Frozen Series - For cosmetics associated with Ice and Snow
- Lava Series - For cosmetics associated with Lava and Fire
- Star Wars Series - For cosmetics associated with Star Wars Franchise
- Shadow Series - For cosmetics associated with Shadows