Fortnite is a massive multiplayer online video game released in July 2017, developed by Epic Games. The game includes three different game modes released as early access: Save the World, Battle Royale, and most recently, Creative. Fortnite Battle Royale is the free 100-player PvP mode in Fortnite. One giant map, a battle bus, building and destructible environments combined with intense PvP combat; the last one standing wins; and Save the World a cooperative shooter-survival game with up to 4-man squad to fight off husks and defend mission objectives with fortifications and defenses. Along with the arrival of Season 7, Creative mode was introduced. For the first time, players could create their own islands with provided prefabs, devices, and standard Battle Royale weapons and items- your island, your friends, your rules.
Fortnite Battle Royale is available on Microsoft Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, iOS and most modern Android devices while Save the World is only available on PC and consoles platforms (except Nintendo Switch).
Development and Components[edit | edit source]
Fortnite was published by North Carolina-based studio Epic Games and released in early access form on July 2017. It was first introduced as a conceptual trailer shown on-stage at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards. A few months after its initial launch, Epic Games released Fortnite: Battle Royale, a free mode using assets and gameplay elements from the main game.
Save the World[edit | edit source]
The Storm came without warning and 98% of the world's population vanished … then came the monsters. You and up to four players lead the world's remaining Heroes in a battle to save survivors and hold back the monster hordes. Explore a large, destructible world where no two games are ever the same. Build huge forts, craft exotic weapons, find loot and level up Heroes.
Battle Royale[edit | edit source]
Fortnite Battle Royale is a gamemode where in 100 players launch in a battle bus and battle against each other in a virtual island where they’re free to loot for weapons and consumables they are different raritys of weapons and consumables
The game is inspired by a concept popularised by the Japanese novel Battle Royale, where the last person standing is deemed to be the winner.
Creative[edit | edit source]
Fortnite Creative is a gamemode where you and up to 15 friends can create islands, play minigames, or explore other islands. In this gamemode, players can customize server settings, place prebuilt structures from Battle Royale, galleries (collections of assets from different Battle Royale structures), devices (traps, timers, vehicles, etc.), and items and weapons from Battle Royale, some of which are no longer in the game.
Release Timeline[edit | edit source]
- Fortnite was first announced at the 2017 Spike Video Game Awards.
- In April 2014, Fortnite's closed Alpha sign-ups began and the game was revealed to be aimed towards a free-to-play model.
- In December 2014, the first round of Fortnite's Alpha began.
- In March 2015, the second round of the Alpha began.
- In Fall 2015, Fortnite was announced to be compatible with Mac computers, and the closed Beta phase began.
- Fortnite became available for Early Access on Windows, Mac, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for those who preordered the game on July 21, 2017 and on July 25, 2017 for those who did not preorder.
- Battle Royale was released as free to play on September 26, 2017.
- Fortnite IOS was released on March 12, 2018.
- Save the World was set to become free-to-play sometime in 2018.
- Fortnite became available for Early Access for the Nintendo Switch on June 12, 2018. Shortly after the release, PS4 crossplay was disabled due to Sony's decision.
- Fortnite was released on NVIDIA Shield TV, an Android-based platform, on July 12, 2018. No other announcements about Android releases were made at this time.
- Fortnite for Android Beta was released on August 9, 2018 to owners of Samsung mobile devices. Fotnite is currently the 1 video in the game in the world! Beta access was expanded to other mobile devices on August 13, 2018.
- On September 26, 2018 extended Fortnite cross-platform play became live on PS4. 
- Despite earlier reports, in October 2018, it was announced that Save the World will not be Free to Play in 2018, and has been delayed until an unspecified time in 2019.
[edit | edit source]
In both modes, players can use a pickaxe, a harvesting tool to knock down existing structures on the map to collect basic resources such as wood, brick, and metal. The gathered materials can be used to build fortification; walls, floors, and stairs, which can be also edited into various pre-defined shapes, properties and styles.
Building[edit | edit source]
Building is one of the main gameplay elements of Fortnite. It consists of building, upgrading (only applies to Save the World), repairing basic structures such as walls, floors, stairs, and roofs, and the placement of traps, all to create a functional and defensive Fort. Creating structures requires basic building Materials, which are Wood, Stone, and Metal. These resources can be obtained through harvesting or destroying objects in both game modes.
Pickaxe and Harvesting[edit | edit source]
The Storm[edit | edit source]
Item Shop and Store[edit | edit source]
Founder's Packs[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- FORTNITE SURPASSES 200 MILLION PLAYERS
- https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/12/10/epic-games-new-franchise-fortnite-blends-survival-horror-with-tower-defense-strategy/#57cdbda0393f Epic Games' New Franchise FORTNITE Blends Survival Horror With Tower Defense Strategy
- Spike TV Announces 2011 “Video Game Awards” Winners
- Epic Games Reveals Cartoony New IP Fortnite
- Fortnite alpha signups are now open
- Gears of War dev's Fortnite has Diablo-like looting
- Epic Games kicks off Fortnite alpha on Dec. 2
- Fortnite kicks off second closed alpha with a livestream this afternoon
- Epic's Fortnite coming to Mac, beta hits this fall
- Fortnite Early Access has started for those who pre-ordered Founder’s Packs
- Tweet by @FortniteGame