Introduction[edit | edit source]
The introduction of Tilted Towers in Patch 2.2 in January 2018 was not without controversy; the large city had a big affect on Battle Royale gameplay with a loot density and verticality that some saw as being too great an outlier. Though effecting no immediate change, this controversy proved to be fertile ground for a conspiracy theory concerning the demise of Tilted Towers after a meteor was noticed in the sky some two months later, during Battle Pass Season 3. Events during the season seemed to even lend credibility to the theory by continually pointing players to the skies and what was seen as an ever-looming threat. On May 1, 2018, the first day of Season 4, the Meteor crashed into Dusty Depot and dramatically altering the landscape of the map.
Timeline of Pertinent Events[edit | edit source]
Season 3[edit | edit source]
- On February 22, 2018, Battle Pass Season 3 was released.
- On March 20, 2018, players of Battle Royale started to notice a meteor in the sky.
- On March 29, 2018, telescope camps began appearing around the map .
- On March 30, 2018, an elaborate theory connecting a controller vibration bug and a secret morse code message was submitted to the popular Reddit group /r/FortniteBR . This was later seen as an April Fool's prank.
- On March 30, 2018, data mining of the game revealed the existence of 3D assets named after a comet .
- On April 18, 2018, the sound emitted by the meteor when viewed through the scope of the player's gun was analysed by a spectrograph and the subsequent spectrogram revealed the Take the L emote .
- On April 24, 2018, a small camp site appeared on the rooftop in Tilted Towers. The campsite included handheld signs with a picture of a UFO, and a text that read "
- On April 25, 2018, a test-pattern graphic featuring the silhouette of a Loot Llama on it was posted on the official Fortnite Twitter account. Television sets in-game started broadcasting the test-pattern graphic and along with an unintelligible audio file.
- On April 26, 2018, meteors began to fall from the sky, damaging buildings and trees .
Season 4[edit | edit source]
- On May 1, 2018, meteors crashed in Dusty Depot and Factory (turning them into Dusty Divot), Tilted Towers, Risky Reels (new location), Fatal Fields, Junk Junction, Haunted Hills and the Prison POI north of Moisty Mire, creating a new landscape for the season 4 map.
Season 7[edit | edit source]
- A piece of the meteor has appeared in the castle at Polar Peak. In the same room as the piece of meteor, there are some plastic and metal containers which are somewhat anachronistic compared to the rest of the castle and the surrounding village.